Sunday, November 7, 2010

Exploring tide pools at Leo Carrillo State Park

This is the first time I've ever seen a tide pool and I'm hooked! This is a sea anemone. When you poke it it bunches up into a little ball and looks like a pile of rocks and sand. It squirts water and its tentacles are sticky like a leech. Later, I learned that you really shouldn't touch them since they've got a nasty sting.
Orange starfish like these and the purple ones like the one pictured in the "California in Mosaics and Photos" post--along with too many hermit crabs to count--abound in these tide pools. If anyone knows what they're called leave a comment and let me know!
Leo Carrillo State Park is popular destination for camping, swimming and beach combing, but when we visited it seemed like we were the only people on the coast for miles. See more of Seth and my California vacation at my Flickr account.

No comments: