Thursday, January 27, 2011

Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

Stopping by the woods (well, kind of) on a snowy morning on my way to work

I just noticed I wore mismatched boots to work. I guess in the wardrobe malfunction scheme of things it's better than wearing, say, an inside-out shirt, but it's still embarrassing. I need a snow day. And a big ol' square of lasagna. What's your favorite recipe to enjoy on chilly winter's day? I'll post mine tonight if I can connect to the Internet. (Fingers crossed.)

POST UPDATE:
Yay! I've got Internet.

It's been snowing like you wouldn't believe around here. Seth and I were so excited about it last night that we took a nice long walk in the middle of the storm and looked like a couple of abominable snowmen by the time we got back to the 'bush. (That's Seth in the top picture and me in the bottom one.) Then, after we went to bed I woke up every hour on the hour to check how deep the snow was. Cars and trucks and buses were slipping and sliding all over Flatbush Avenue like mad all. night long.

Anyway, this is my favorite lasagna recipe. It's my mom's recipe, more or less (she uses cottage cheese, I sometimes use ricotta). It's the one I've been making ever since I learned to cook and it's perfect for a day like today.

Mom's Lasagna
Prepare lasagna noodles and preheat oven as indicated on the package.

Meanwhile, in one bowl mix equal parts tomato sauce with tomato paste (I like Hunts), chopped marinated artichoke hearts, chopped Spanish olives, dried basil, and Parmesan. In another bowl mix ricotta or cottage cheese, shredded cheddar, shredded mozzarella, and more Parmesan.

Alternately layer noodles and tomato and cheese mixtures, sprinkle basil and Parmesan on top, then bake according to directions on lasagna package.

Serve with Pasta House Salad minus the onions (if you're me!).

2 comments:

PAM said...

Hi, Rachel-Rachel-Rachel. I always blame a clothing mismatch on dark closets. It's valid. ?? The pictures are beautiful. Glad I'm not there. We made a huge amount of lasagna. Since we are mid-west, we are proud of our Velveta. I froze several squares for a comfort food atack. Love from the cattery. ^..^

Rachel said...

Yay! I've been missing comments from the cattery (and comments in general for that matter)!!! Maybe it was lack of sleep I did get up to check the progress of the falling snow a lot. Who knows. At any rate, I triple checked my shoes this morning. Yep. Velveeta. I told Seth about my favorite pizza growing up: completely from-scratch crust, browned ground beef, fennel seeds, and Velveeta. He was not impressed. Doesn't know what he's missing I guess. Shoot. Now I want a velveeta pizza with fennel seeds!